Date: 8/7/17 1:21 pm
From: Dika Golovatchoff <digolov...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] East Beach, then Bird Refuge
I made two fairly short birding stops this morning. What was unusual to me
was the two juvenile Heermann's Gulls, the first that I've ever seen. They
stood out from mix of Heermann's adult gulls (12) and Western gulls (about
40) by being so dark brown as to appear almost black. Also present were 9
Black Skimmers and a distant group of Long-billed Curlews, two Snowy Egrets
and a magnificent Great Blue Heron.

Walk to 3rd viewing platform at Bird Refuge showed that as of 10 AM this
the Semipalmated Sandpiper is still actively feeding among western and
least sandpipers. The other usual black-necked stilts, snowy egrets,
spotted sandpiper, red-winged blackbirds, great-tailed grackles, and ducks
(mostly mallards but also a ruddy) were present. I did not see the
Long-billed Dowitchers that have been there recently.

I posted a few photos including the Juv. Heermann's since it hasn't been
seen in a few years I'm told.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/

Dika Golovatchoff, Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!