Date: 8/7/17 12:08 pm
From: 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Red-billed Tropicbird, etc, Seal Island, 8/7
Hi all,I had the privilege of being the Guest Naturalist aboard the Isle au Haut Ferry and Mailboat's "Lighthouses and Puffins" tour yesterday. Marion Sprague and Jeannette joined me as we motored from Stonington to Isle au Haut to Saddleback Ledge Light to Seal Island.
Gusty winds made for a fairly bumpy ride, making it hard to scan too far. Wilson's Storm-Petrels and Northern Gannets were fairly common all day, and just past Saddleback Ledge, we had a nice feeding frenzy of gannets and Common Terns that were joined by a couple of Atlantic Puffins.
In and around Seal Island, we had plenty of puffins, Arctic and Common Terns, Great Cormorants, etc (but missed Razorbill), and at least 5-6 different PARASITIC JAEGERS (plus 1-2 unidentified jaegers). One distant large shearwater species off the northwest corner of Seal was our only non-Wilson's Storm-Petrel tubenose on the day.
And of course, there was "Troppy," the continuing Red-billed Tropicbird, who put on a very nice show for us. Jeannette's photos are here:https://www.facebook.com/Freeportwildbird/posts/1755368754493071

-Derek
***************************************** Derek and Jeannette Lovitch Freeport Wild Bird Supply 541 Route One, Suite 10 Freeport, ME 04032 207-865-6000 www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com    ****************************************