Date: 8/7/17 7:29 am
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] RN Phalaropes, BB Whistling Ducks & Bar-tailed Godwit (IA)
On Saturday afternoon, I found 2 juvenile Red-necked Phalaropes at the wetland that includes Tamora WPA (most shorebirds are in the farmed portion of the wetland, east of the WPA). eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38492200

Steve Eno just called me to report that it appears their Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks have now moved on for good. These are the birds that have been reported by various observers in northwest Lancaster County over the last couple of weeks. They were last seen on 3 August after being seen more or less daily for several weeks. They must not like this chilly weather.

Finally, in case you are not aware of it, a Bar-tailed Godwit, which is a big-time regional rarity, was discovered by Steve Dinsmore at Pinchey Bottoms, Red Rock Lake, Marion County, Iowa on Saturday. It was seen through the day yesterday. A Ruff has also been observed at this location. Photos of the Godwit can be seen at the following links:

Good birding!

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Join us on Facebook!