Date: 8/7/17 6:06 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake Calumet Area In The A.M. & Winnebago County In The P.M. Sunday 8-6-17
Hello Bird People,

Covered Burnham Prairie, Hegewisch Marsh & Big Marsh with Jeff
Sanders, Chris M, Ted Wolff, Susan Holton & others from 7:30-11:45
a.m. on Sunday. Made a 2nd visit to Burnham Prairie after lunch &
added 1 shorebird species although not the species I wanted. I was
doing my bird records at home when Andy Sigler called to see if I
wanted to hurry out to Winnebago to look for some of the shorebirds
reported by Dan Williams near Pecatonica? Yes I did. Covered that area
with Andy from about 5:30-6:45 p.m. Didn't get home until almost 10
p.m. so this report is a late one but all areas have already been
discussed on IBET by Jeff B & Dan W so being late is not a big deal.

Burnham Prairie (7:30-9 a.m.)

I don't think I have EVER found a major target species here the day
after it was reported except for a long ago Glossy Ibis. Last year I
missed a Marbled Godwit & this year Short Billed Dowitchers (twice),
Snowy Egrets & now Stilt Sandpiper. This in spite of Ted W (who found
the Stilt Saturday) being present on Sunday. Jeff B has already posted
a complete report for this location so I'll just do a partial listing.

Shorebirds:

In spite of missing the Stilt Sandpiper we still had 8 shorebird
species which were Killdeer (34), Semipalmated Plover (1), Lesser
Yellowlegs (13), Solitary (1), Spotted (3), Least (12) & Pectoral
Sandpipers (8) & SHORT BILLED DOWITCHERS (3). Later Jeff Sanders & I
returned & found 1 Greater Yellowlegs had joined the Lesser Yellowlegs
so we ended up with 9 shorebird species.
Had we seen the Semipalmated Sandpipers reported later by Jeff B we
would have made the double digit total of 10 but we did not.

Also had 6 D.C. Cormorants, 3 Great Blues, 5 Great Egrets & 2-IM Black
Crowned Night Herons.
A young PEREGRINE flew in & flushed birds at the far eastern ponds &
then sat in a dead tree offering good looks to Jeff S, Ted W & Susan
H.

Hegewisch Marsh (9:10-10:15 a.m.)

Here we saw P.B. Grebe (2), Great Blue (2), Great Egret (2), Mute Swan
(2-AD & 3 gray young),
COMMON GALLINULE (2 young ones seen quickly & at a distance) Making it
hard to pick out the Gallinules were Wood Ducks & 3 Coots. After last
weekends close view of 9 Gallinules Sunday's look wasn't much but red
bills were seen. Interesting land birds were Eastern Phoebe & Blue
Gray Gnatcatcher.

Big Marsh (10:45-11:45 a.m.)

Again Jeff B did a complete list so I'll just do a few highlights. Saw
more Cormorants, Great Blues, Great Egrets & another Mute Swan family
(2-AD & 2 young, one of which is all white). No flying or calling
Least Bitterns for me but an OSPREY was hunting at the far east end &
I saw 1st 1 & on the way back 2 MOCKINGBIRDS but I see Jeff B did even
better seeing 3.

Winnebago County (5:30-6:45 p.m.)

Had the sunlight in our faces on Pecatonica Rd north of Blair Rd but
Andy & I did see all 3 targets which were BLACK NECKED STILT (4),
STILT SANDPIPER (1-JUV) & RED NECKED PHALAROPE (1) all in the same
flooded field. Bad lighting & being in a hurry kept us from doing
proper counts but other species here & at 2 other places included
Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Least & Pectoral Sandpipers in large
numbers & in small numbers Solitary & Spotted Sandpipers.

Bird-Of-The-A.M. goes to the 2 Mockingbirds & Runner-Up to the 3 Short
Billed Dowitchers which I only saw because they were not the target
species but an afterthought.

Bird-Of-The-P.M. goes to the Black Necked Stilts & Runner-Ups to the
R.N. Phalarope & the
young Stilt Sandpiper seen after missing 2 others previously.
Our strong finish meant it was a very good day after all.

Good license plates included one from Montana picked out by Jeff
Sanders on 106th Street & on the Tollway coming home one each from
South Dakota (a new version plate) & Nevada.

Al Stokie
A late report from both S.E. Cook & Winnebago Co's

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: