Date: 8/6/17 7:14 pm
From: Ruth <birder_rws...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] failure and success in the hawk world
I have been fortunate this summer not to have had bear visits, so have enjoyed the other kinds of visits from many jvls birds at my feeders - bjays, red-wing bb, house finches, chipping sp, cardinal, rose-breasted gb, chickadees, white-br nuthatches, many mourning doves, etc. Of course, all this is food on the table! Sat. I actually SAW a hawk make a pass at some bluejays on the platform feeder - no catch. However, practice makes perfect! Altho I didn't see the flyin, there was the hawk on a blue jay in my driveway. I wasn't sure whether the hit was fatal until I inched my car ahead, and the hawk took off with the jay in its talons. My, my but the family was VERY upset.

I have not gotten a good enough look at the hawk yet, but jizz says Coopers.

Ruth Stewart
E. Dorset, VT

Join us on Facebook!