Date: 8/6/17 6:50 pm
From: Matthew Brown <mattbrownbirds...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Montosa Canyon Five-striped Sparrow again/still
Sorry for the day-lateness of this: while doing the second day of the Santa
Cruz River Valley overnight trip for the Southwest Wings festival
yesterday, August 5, at about 6:00 a.m., Myron Smith and I had a lone,
singing male FIVE-STRIPED SPARROW just past the cement stream crossing in
Montosa Canyon on the road past the Whipple Observatory Visitor Center. His
territory seems to comprise the area around the 20 mph sign and rocky
two-track that starts on the right, including the close little wall above
it and the roadside mesquites on the left. I wasn't sure if this recently
near-perennial loner had been reported this summer or not, but he's
currently present and obviously territorial.

Of even less timelines, Myron and I also had the female GREEN KINGFISHER
reported recently from the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve on Friday
morning, August 4, at around 8:45 a.m., on the opposite bank of the
downstream end of the small section of creek visible from Blue Haven Road
about 250 yards beyond (southwest of) the Preserve entrance. Since the
Preserve is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, this cut-bank and the bigger
one about a third of a mile southwest of the Paton Center for Hummingbirds
in Patagonia would be good places to look for this potentially continuing
rarity.

Matt Brown
The Patagonia Birding and Butterfly Co.
520-604-6300
mattbrownbirds AT gmail.com
lifebirds.com
Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/zUTe8

"Oddities appear in the oddest of places." ---Lord Varys