Date: 8/6/17 4:08 pm
From: Geoffrey Williamson <geoffrey.williamson.21...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Upcoming birding boat trips on Lake Michigan
I have arranged two Lake Michigan pelagics out of Chicago's Burnham Harbor:
one on 9 Sep 2017 (Saturday) and the other on 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday). Both
trips depart at 6:30 AM and return at about 11:30 AM. We will be on a 50
foot boat with good space for 12+ birders. I am looking for interested
birders to share the costs. Please email me for further information. To
reserve a space I will request payment in advance.

Lake Michigan Pelagics
Burnham Harbor, Chicago departure
Saturday, 9 Sep 2016, 6:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Saturday, 30 Sep 2016, 6:30 AM to 11:30 AM

Cost: $150/person for each date. Be aware also that tipping the crew is
customary and that parking at the dock is a flat rate of about $25/car.

These trips will be out of Burnham Harbor in Chicago, Illinois. We will
head east out of the harbor and explore Lake Michigan in areas well off
shore, planning to be entirely in Cook County, Illinois waters. During
September we are especially keen to look for Sabine's Gulls, Long-tailed
Jaegers, and Parasitic Jaegers. We expect to see gulls and terns as well,
and will of course look carefully at anything and everything we see. Out to
about four miles from shore is where most of the duck/grebe/loon activity
is concentrated. Though waterbird migration is not in full force at this
time, we will be alert and scanning as we pass through this zone on the way
in and out. Further from shore, birds are fewer in number, but this is
where jaegers and Sabine's Gull have been seen on previous trips. On both
September trips we ran in 2016, we had Parasitic Jaegers: a juvenile on 10
Sep 2016 and both a juvenile and an adult on 24 Sep 2016.

For more information about past birding outings onto Lake Michigan,
including some photos of birds we found, see http://geoffwilliamson.
info/pelagics/ and the links therein.

Good birding,
Geoff