Date: 8/6/17 4:02 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Cascades- CA Tortoiseshells
I did a short overnight backback trip east of Waldo Lake this weekend. On
the drive to the trailhead for Twin Peaks from Hwy 58 (the Waldo Lake road)
on Saturday the number of tortoiseshells was amazing. I hiked up to Twin
Peaks (7300') on the Cascade crest and they were thick on the peak also.
So, unfortunately, were the squeeters. There are still drifts of snow down
to 6500' (unusually late for snow this low) and many pot hole
lakes brimming with water and mosquito larvae. I normally avoid this area
in June and July as the whole area around Waldo is mosquito central- I
think this year the squeeters will be thick throughout August also.

Nice to hear all the usuals including nutcrackers and a Sooty Grouse right
atop the peak with me around sunrise this morning. Had an amazing sunset
and sunrise enhanced by wildfire smoke. I even took photos!

Looked like there might be some thunderstorms building when I was hiking
out early AM escorted by a cloud of mosquitoes.

Enjoy!
Tim R
back in air-conditioned Coos Bay, 75 at the house again : )

Join us on Facebook!