Date: 8/6/17 2:12 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Shorebirding in Washington and Clackamas Counties: Baird's Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper and Solitary Sandpiper
Shawneen and I just returned home after doing some birding at Tualatin River NWR and Blount Swale near Canby. We had Baird's Sandpiper at both sites, with one at Tualatin in the quickly drying pond on the south side of the dike trail and four at Blount Swale. Tualatin also had a single Pectoral Sandpiper, modest numbers of Least and Western Sandpipers, about 12 Greater Yellowlegs and 13 Long-billed Dowitchers. We also had two Lazuli Buntings.

Blount Swale had slightly greater numbers total shorebirds, with about 40 each of Least and Western, five Long-billed Dowitchers, 10+ Killdeer, at least two Spotted Sandpipers, a single Solitary down along the fence line between the mudflat and the wetland and the aforementioned four Baird's.

Both of these sites are probably within a week or so of drying up completely if the weather continues as it has been.

Dave Irons

Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!