Date: 8/6/17 11:15 am
From: Florence Sanchez <sanchezucsb11...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Bird Refuge Sunday a.m.
The Semipalmated Sandpiper is still hanging around.  It was visible and active in its usual spot on the exposed mud opposite the third viewing platform (nearest the zoo).  With it were usually two Western Sandpipers and a Spotted Sandpiper.  Just as I arrived, two or three Least Sandpipers flew off from the water's edge east of the platform and continued heading east.  Two Dowitchers were resting on the mud with the Mallards, presumably the Long-billed Dows reported earlier.  I heard a Yellowlegs calling from somewhere as I started up the trail from the parking area, and there were Black-necked Stilts both on the mud off the platform and at the parking area.  One Green Heron flew by the island as we were watching the sandpipers.
Best views I've ever had of a Semipalm--no heat shimmer!
Florence Sanchez

Join us on Facebook!