Date: 8/6/17 10:21 am
From: Keith Kamper <keithkamper...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Short-tailed Hawk N. Mescal Road/Paige Creek
Patty Tersey and I observed a dark-morph juvenile Short-tailed Hawk in
flight about 14 miles north from the I-10 Mescal Road overpass. This is
before the concrete tank (and small pond set back from the road). This is
presumably the same bird (or one very similar?) that I photographed along
Paige Creek on June 5th. More info on this area can be found in the TAS
Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona under "Happy Valley, Ash and Paige
Creek.

Afterwards we birded Paige Creek, parking just before the gate, and walked
both directions. Two pairs of Zone-tailed Hawks, four Yellow-Billed
Cuckoos, and our FOS Pacific-Slope Flycatcher. Paige Creek is flowing
strongly, and Happy Valley is greener than I have ever seen. There are a
few washes that are flowing across the road, so high clearance would be
advisable.

Keith Kamper
Tucson, Az