Date: 8/6/17 4:57 am
From: Cathryn Abbott <catabbott1...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Helping Behavior in Bluebirds
Hello All! This season our bluebirds stuck around to raise their second brood in the exact same nesting box (which we cleaned out between broods). The three juveniles (which fledged on June 8) are still here as well. The second brood is well along, quite vocal, and peeking out of the nest box in between food deliveries. Last evening we watched one of the juvenile bluebirds feed its younger siblings. This happened on several occasions including one botched attempt where the caterpillar, still alive, managed to escape. I'm curious if anyone else has observed this helping behavior?

Cat Abbott
Dummerston

Join us on Facebook!