Date: 8/5/17 4:47 pm
From: Steve Huggins <sjhuggins1209...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET McHenry Co Shorebirds
I spent much of the day driving around McHenry County checking known fluddle areas for shorebirds. Most sites I know of were still underwater from the July rains - I also found a bunch of new fluddles but again most had no or just a few birds.

I did hit the motherload at one new spot I came across - a fluddle on Hobe Road south of Kishwaukee Valley Road had an estimated 600 shorebirds, despite a couple of hours of scanning I was unable to find any scarcer species among the Pecs, Yellowlegs and Killdeer etc. The fluddle is currently pretty big and some birds are close to the road others are much more distant. I had the good fortune of meeting the farmer who invited me to walk into the field which I did - it was a great experience to be surrounded by so many shorebirds for a couple of hours.

The shorebird totals for this site are:
Lesser Yellowlegs - 102
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Pectoral Sandpiper - 328