Date: 8/5/17 2:17 pm
Subject: Possible Breeding of Shiny Cowbirds at Fort Macon SP, Carteret County, NC
I have been keeping an eye out for any offspring of the Shiny Cowbird pair
that has been at Fort Macon this summer. I don't know whether to be
excited or scared about it, but this morning there was what appears to be
an immature Shiny Cowbird in the company of the continuing female. The new
bird has the slightly scruffy look of a hatch year bird, but other than
that I'm just going on the probability of a new bird versus a pair
producing an offspring. I have not seen the male since July 27. The flock
of Brown-headed Cowbirds that swelled when the hatch-year birds left their
unwitting hosts and joined their own species seems to have moved elsewhere
and perhaps the male Shiny Cowbird moved with them. Perhaps the female and
her offspring will leave soon as well. I have uploaded a photo to the
Carolina Birds website. I have also included a link to my eBird report
below.

On a related note, I saw one of the banded adult female Painted Buntings
with an immature Brown-headed Cowbird in tow this morning. On the positive
side, I believe I saw two hatch year Painted Buntings at Fort Macon on
Thursday.

Marty Wall
Beaufort, NC

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S38485091&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=N2mGdUdWaC84kWMeK_IWZxaQ5jPrqzl7t7omoilBxJU&s=mquyteHTHTFs2A0aVhriXPQPuxkXKs4-Fuhrph7D6gs&e=

Join us on Facebook!