Date: 8/5/17 1:59 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Lancaster Whistling-Ducks a No Show/ Belated Doulgas Co.
  Yesterday afternoon I made what I thought was going to be a quick and easy trip to snag the aforementioned Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks along James Rd, north of Lincoln.
  Despite hearing/observing nearly fifty species in the area (with a few sighted near the Ganas Ponds nearby), These tropical tree ducks were not among them.  The Enos informed me that it was the first day they had not been sighted at all on the pond.

Last Week 7/29 I did a bit of birding around western Douglas Co.
My first stop was the 234th St. wetlands.  Here it seems as though the MARSH WRENS had all but silenced.  Only a couple were heard.  Unfortunately no Rails were vocal.
 Driving closer to Valley, I stopped at Salerno Marsh (264th St.) where highlights included some heard only species including a BLUE GROSBEAK and a couple of calling NORTHERN BOBWHITE.   I didn't dare venture anywhere close to "the shed" on this particular outing to get a better listen (see July 15, 2016 post for reference).
 Later I stopped at one of the Sandpit Lakes (Sandcove Lake North) and found a pair of LEAST TERNS which made several flyovers.  One of the birds was emitting juvenile flight calls.
On my way back toward Omaha, I stopped at the small marsh opposite of Bennington Lake along Bennington Road.  While there I was quite surprised to find an OSPREY sitting in the same position on the same dead snag where one had been observed on July 7th.  I speculated that this was quite possibly the same bird, and that it had perhaps spent the summer in the area.  Another species among the 26 birds counted in this location included a single GREEN HERON.
Ready for some eBird?...
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38480453 - James Rd. (Lancaster)
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38378401   - Bennington Rd.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38376798    - Sandcove Lake North (Valley)
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38376391 - Salerno Marsh
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38375708 - 234th St. Wetlands

Good birding.

Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!