Date: 8/5/17 1:00 pm
From: Robert Guth <bobwgfsa...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Pied-billed Grebe, Marsh Wrens, and thousands of Red-winged Blackbirds, Noble County
Today I visited Mallard Roost Wetland Conservation Area in Noble County. The DNR describes the location if you google it. I parked at Public Access #2 and walked along county roads. I saw thousands of birds. Before sunrise there were Marsh Wrens singing all over. Then came a few hundred American Robins flying out of the Wetland. I had a total of 51 species but a few were at other edges of the area and can be found under Noble County on eBird. Then Red-winged Blackbirds started flying out in groups of 50 to 200 birds, and this went on for about 30 minutes. There were many other interesting species as shown below, and I recommend a visit at sunrise. Thanks to Kirk Roth for finding this location and nominating it as a Hotspot. I missed the Common Gallinules, but heard Swamp Sparrows and Yellow-billed Cuckoos and Acadian and Willow Flycatchers. I also saw or heard a number of Sandhill Cranes. The bird of the day was near the end, when I saw an immature Pied-billed Grebe in the Little Elkhart River, suggesting that they likely nested there. There were no boat races, although a few canoes were present before sunrise.

I recommend a visit to this location if you live in northern Indiana.
Here are the main two lists.

Mallard Roost Wetland Conservation Area, Noble, Indiana, US
Aug 5, 2017 6:21 AM - 7:00 AM and then 7:55 to 8:21 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.6 mile(s)
Comments: Fair sunny wind SW10 temp 55F - walking along 600N from Mallard Roost #2 Public Access site
26 species

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 49
Mallard (Northern) (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos/conboschas) 4 Female and three half grown young
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 1 This bird was a striped face immature with white on tail which probably grew up here - no parents were seen with it. It was beyond the downy stage.
Green Heron (Butorides virescens) 1
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) 12 Saw 5 fly over then pairs in two places and calling in three other places - this is a large favorable wetland
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 1
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) 6
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 9
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis) 1
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 8 Singing 7 and saw two at close range
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 297 Flying out from roost at sunrise where I counted 14,5,21,10,20,51,55,51,13,14,7,23, and then 13
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 49
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 3 Singing 3
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 6 Singing 1 and others seen
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) 1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 4 Singing 3
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 3 Singing 3
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 4 Singing 3
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 665 Flying from marsh roost I counted 10, 225, 60, 300, 60, and 10
Common Grackle (Bronzed) (Quiscalus quiscula versicolor) 25
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38487542

Mallard Roost Wetland Conservation Area, Noble, Indiana, US
Aug 5, 2017 7:00 AM - 7:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.8 mile(s)
Comments: Fair sunny wind SW10 temp 55F - walking along 400W gravel road
36 species

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) (Ardea herodias [herodias Group]) 3
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) 2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 2 Singing 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) 2 At Jewelweed
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 3
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 1 Heard call and saw fly over
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 6 Singing 5
Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens) 2 Singing Weech up in swamp forest
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) 4 Singing 1 and others were calling
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) 6
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons) 3 Singing 3
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 3 Singing 3
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 7
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 1
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis) 4
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 4
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 6 Singing 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 3
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 3
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 2
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 5 Singing 5
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 3
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 3 Singing 2 and another seen
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 9 Singing 7
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 5 Singing 5
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 5 Singing 2
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 3 Singing 3 and seen
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 4749 Flock after flock of blackbirds flying from this roost for about 30 minutes, counted 15,25,300,9,150,120,500,175,150,150,125,175,100,150,120,150,90,75,80,50, 120,35,80,60,45,160,110,25,60,20,60,50,60,130,60,60,70,90,130,110, 130, 35,30,30,55,30,85, and 110
Common Grackle (Bronzed) (Quiscalus quiscula versicolor) 3
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38487866

Bob Guth, Goshen, IN
Bobwgfsa using gmail