Date: 8/5/17 12:31 pm
From: Adam Sell <adamwardsell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Fort Sheridan Hawkwatch Alternate Location and Early Explorations
As many of you already know, Fort Sheridan Forest Preserve will be closed
this fall, which means us Fort Sheridan hawkwatchers were kicked out of our
spot!

Luckily, we have found an excellent alternate location at the south end of
the Parade Grounds: https://goo.gl/maps/yB7hssGkqh42

Today (8/5/17), from 8:00-12:30, I decided to check out our new site before
the season begins. I was joined by Michal Furmanek in the last hour.
Light west winds and some beautiful clouds made it a pleasant stay, but the
true kicker is our new location was shaded even up until we left! Not
being stuck in the sun all day can truly make the difference during early
season hawkwatching.

As for raptors, we only had two migrants, a Red-tailed Hawk and Cooper's
Hawk, that were both first year birds. At one point, I had seven
Red-tailed Hawks in one scan, but many were simply soaring around with no
intent to migrate. Other non-migrant raptor highlights include 5 Turkey
Vultures and a Broad-winged Hawk.

I had a total of 42 species from the new location. A highlight was small
groups of Cedar Waxwings adding up to 80 migrants, which is a great taste
of what is soon to be their peak migration. It was also nice to see a few
Red-headed Woodpeckers flycatching across the grounds.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38490322

Hawkcount report:
https://www.hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=750&ryear=2017&rmonth=08&rday=05

Overall, the alternate location has a good skyline, and we are excited for
the start of the hawkwatch season in late August!

If you have any interest in volunteering and helping us count during our
2017 season, please send me a message. We'd love any and all help and look
forward to seeing many of you out there this fall!

Good Hawkwatching!

Adam Sell
Lake Co.

Join us on Facebook!