Date: 8/5/17 12:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Piping Plover Update At Waukegan Plus More Lake County Lakefront Saturday 8-5-17
Hello Bird People,

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Parking Lot Ponds (6:15-7:15 a.m.)

Yesterday I rec'd an email with photo's from Tim W showing the 2 young
Piping Plovers that I have been talking about & with both of them was
an adult Piping Plover which still had it's black breast band & black
on the face. One photo showed all 3 together. As I had yet to see an
adult this migration period I thought I'd look today. But only 1
Piping Plover remained & it was the young one with the blue band on
the bottom of 1 leg. It was hanging out with a Semipalmated Plover but
no other Piping Plovers were found by Bob Erickson & I. Perhaps the
other 2 are on the move so be looking for them farther south.

Other Waukegan birds were Killdeer (1), Lesser Yellowlegs (3))
Solitary (1) & Least (5) Sandpipers.
Except for the 2 small Plovers (which were on the beach north of the
fishing pier) all shorebirds were found by the parking lot ponds west
of Sea Horse Drive. Flying by were 33 Cormorants & 2 Great Blue
Herons. There were 48 Canada Geese, 4 Caspian Terns & Ring Billed
(75-80) & Herring (10) Gulls on the beach. In the dunes 2 Marsh Wrens
were still singing. On the roadside wires were 2
EUROPEAN GOLDFINCHES.

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:35-9:15 a.m.)

Ran into Andy S & Steve M who had again seen the young Blue Grosbeak
along the Dunes Trail but Bob & I did not find it later. They also had
found a young BAIRD'S SANDPIPER on the beach half way to the mouth of
the Dead River & that bird we did find. Doubling our pleasure we found
a 2nd young BAIRD'S right at the river mouth. Other shorebirds were
Killdeer (3) & Sanderlings (3). With the Gull flocks on the beach were
3 Caspian & 1 FORSTER'S Tern. Also on the beach were Horned Lark (2) &
a young Cowbird. Swallows here & at Waukegan included Barn, Cliff &
Bank.

State Line Beach (9:30-10 a.m.)

Again Gull numbers were down but with them were 3 Caspian Terns.
Running on the beach were 3 Sanderlings & 2 Spotted Sandpipers flew
by.

On my way home after lunch I stopped at Techny North to find that the
mud flats are recovering quickly but as always so far only common
shorebirds are there including 5 Lesser Yellowlegs.

No doubt about the young Piping Plover being the top bird seen today
but that species has been the award winner 3 or 4 times recently so
today Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the 2 young Baird's Sandpipers in their
fresh new feathers. Runners-Up to the Piping Plover & the Forster's
Tern.
I had 10 shorebird species for the day which is the 1st time I have
made it to 10 this migration.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Maine seen by North Point Marina.

Al Stokie
Mostly doing the N.E. Lake Co beaches today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: