Date: 8/5/17 11:34 am
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Harney Plumbeous Vireo
As one who has been quite skeptical about most Oregon reports of Plumbeous Vireo, I have to say that the photos and sound recordings of this bird point to it being the genuine article. I sent photos to veteran bander Tony Leukering, who has spent much of his birding life in Colorado. Tony aged this bird as after-hatch-year, based on the clear signs of prebasic molt (tail feathers growing in). He said he had no issues with calling it a Plumbeous. Most of the head and body feathers appear to be fresh and newly replaced and yet the excellent photos of this bird show virtually no green or yellow in the plumage. There is a slight tinge of yellow along the lower flanks, which is fine for Plumbeous. The crisp contrast between the gray hood and white throat also supports Plumbeous, which to my eye often look like a black and white version of Blue-headed Vireo.

In addition to the photos taken by Callie Gesmundo and Rick Vetter, there are also good sound recordings. While sorting the vocalizations of Cassin's and Plumbeous isn't always possible (some overlap according to Ed Pandolfino), when I listened to the recordings the bird did not sound like a typical Cassin's to me. The tonal pitch was lower and a bit throatier.

Congratulations to Callie for her great find and documentation of this bird.

Dave Irons