Date: 8/5/17 11:02 am
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (5-Aug-2017) Meager results
Today (5-Aug-2017) John Cassady, Lynea Hinchman, Randy Pals, and I spent the morning birding on the lakefront.

The lakefront had more birders than birds. We squeaked into Michigan City Harbor early, before it became locked down for boat races. While there we learned that Ryan Sanderson, Jeff McCoy et al. were all at Miller Beach and were seeing nothing. We elected to try our luck at Miller Beach. Our plan was to conduct a lengthy lakewatch there; however, a young lady drowned during the morning and as a result the parking lot and beach were closed at 10:00am. Accordingly, after just 50 minutes we were evicted. Other birders covered all the additional sites that we had planned to visit, without any decent finds. For the first time in an eon we were home before noon.

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR (with Matt Beatty)
Double-crested Cormorant,7
Great Blue Heron,1
Semipalmated Plover,1 juv
Sanderling,3 adults
Semipalmated Sandpiper,2 juvs
Bonaparte’s Gull,1 juv
Ring-billed Gull,110
Herring Gull,25
Caspian Tern,3
American Kestrel,1 male
Eastern Kingbird,2
Bank Swallow,3
Barn Swallow,10 apx

—STRIEBEL POND (with Matt Beatty)
Great Blue Heron,6
Great Egret,1
Eastern Kingbird,1
Cedar Waxwing,3
Eastern Towhee,1
Indigo Bunting,1
Baltimore Oriole,1

—EAST BEVERLY SHORES (along Beverly Drive- with Matt Beatty)
Canada Goose,6
Wood Duck,25
Great Blue Heron,6
Great Egret,1
Red-tailed Hawk,2
Mourning Dove,4
Red-bellied Woodpecker,1
Downy Woodpecker,3
Hairy Woodpecker,1
Pileated Woodpecker,1
Eastern Wood-Pewee,6
Eastern Phoebe,2
Yellow-throated Vireo,2
Red-eyed Vireo,2
American Crow,6
Blue Jay3
Black-capped Chickadee,3
White-breasted Nuthatch,1
House Wren,2
Gray Catbird,13
Cedar Waxwing,1
Yellow Warbler,1- seen, not heard
American Redstart,2
Common Yellowthroat,5
Eastern Towhee,7
Song Sparrow,6
Swamp Sparrow,4
Northern Cardinal,4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak,2
Indigo Bunting,3
Brown-headed Cowbird,1
American Goldfinch,2

—CENTRAL BEVERLY SHORES (along Beverly Drive)
Belted Kingfisher,2
Downy Woodpecker,1
“Traill’s” Flycatcher,3
Eastern Phoebe,1
Eastern Kingbird,2
Warbling Vireo,1
Barn Swallow,12
Tufted Titmouse,1
American Robin,2
Cedar Waxsing,2
European Starling,30
Common Yellowthroat,4
Song Sparrow,5
Swamp Sparrow,3
Baltimore Oriole,1
American Goldfinch,4

—WEST BEVERLY SHORES (along Beverly Drive)
Great Blue Heron,2
Great Egret,1
Belted Kingfisher,1
Red-headed Woodpecker,5- 3 adults & 2 juvs
Great Crested Flycatcher,1
Eastern Kingbird,1
Common Yellowthroat,2
Song Sparrow,3
Swamp Sparrow,2
House Finch,6

—MILLER BEACH (with Matt Beatty; 9:10-10:00AM- evicted)
Double-crested Cormorant,18
Spotted Sandpiper,1 juv
Sanderling,4 adults
Semipalmated Sandpiper,1 juv