Date: 8/5/17 9:44 am
From: 'Robert Lindsay' <capnbob...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [sbcobirding] Bird Refuge Semi Sand
Saturday, 8/5, 8:30 am

Arrived at the third observation platform to find Kay from Ventura. She already had the Semipalmated Sandpiper about 20 feet from the platform among 6 Western Sandpipers. The contrast between these two species made identification fairly easy. The bill on the Semipalmated is noticeably shorter, the head more rounded with much less distinct face and crown markings. While these peeps stayed on the mudflat they moved farther from the platform as additional observers arrived.

Other birds of interest included two Long-billed Dowitcher (with more orange undersides than I usually see on this species) below some reeds on the zoo shoreline. A green heron stopped in briefly. One Spotted Sandpiper made a quick fly-by. A Black Skimmer was skimming the lagoon when I first arrived. Otherwise, only common birds.

Rob Lindsay

Join us on Facebook!