Date: 8/4/17 8:36 pm
From: Arlene Ripley <arleneripley...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Whitewater
Water, water, everywhere at Whitewater! Amazing change from recent years.

Doug and I stopped there on our way back from Slaughter Ranch (no Green
Kingbird for us despite several hours of watching at the big pond but
quite a few Yellow-billed Cuckoos entertained is while we watched). We
arrived a little after 4 PM and walked around the dikes until around
5:30. It was windy and there were waves on the water! An unexpected
surprise was: 4 BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS on the first pond on the
right as you walk from the barn and at least 17 BLACK TERNS on the back
ponds and resting on the spit that goes past the last viewing platform.
Also more than 50 WILSON'S PHALAROPES, a LESSER YELLOWLEGS, SPOTTED
SANDPIPERS, a single LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, 3 SORAS. In the distance
with several GREAT BLUE HERONS were what looked like Snowy Egrets but
being scopeless, I can't say for sure. Can't wait to go back when I have
more time. I'll put some photos of the ponds and the ducks on my
Facebook page ASAP.

One note about access to San Bernardino NWR from Slaughter Ranch. This
is no more. Sadly the gate has been closed to all entry, reasons were
unclear but we were informed of this by Fred, the manager. We usually
enter from this spot as it isn't as long a walk as from the actual entry
to the NWR farther down the road. So, we were disappointed that we were
not able to get in that way.

Arlene Ripley

--
Dragoon Mountains foothills, west