Date: 8/4/17 6:13 pm
Subject: Re: Common Mergansers on South Toe River, Yancey County, NC
Maybe the adults are offspring from the breeding population on the
Green River in Henderson / Polk Counties?

Or maybe there are more Common Mergs breeding around the southern
Appalachians than we've realized...

Whatever the case - I'm glad to hear about it. If they're expanding
their range southward, maybe we will start seeing more wintering birds
down here.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Clifton Avery <carolinabirds...> wrote:
> 8 Common Mergansers were seen on the South Toe River this morning by my
> father. I have a blurry photo from him that is good enough to confirm ID.
> He also saw the group of 8 on the South Toe about a week ago for the first
> time. My guess is it is a mother and her grown brood. The question is:
> Where did they come from? Has anyone ever seen Common Mergansers in Yancey
> County in the Spring or Summer? According to eBird someone did see 6 COME
> this past May right in the same spot as where my Dad has seen them. I
> frequent the South Toe and from now on will keep a better lookout for the
> mergansers.
>
> Clifton Avery
> North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

Join us on Facebook!