Date: 8/3/17 4:41 pm
From: Glenn Kincaid <glenn...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Andree Clark Semipalmated Sandpiper
This report got my curiosity up so I went down to the Bird Refuge and found the Semipalmated Sandpiper in the spot as described. I was joined by Joan Lentz and we had great views of this peep, standing side by side with Western Sandpipers for comparison. Also, a handsome Long-billed Dowitcher arrived, and along the shore was a juvenile Stilt with a very excited and protective parent.

The last time the water level was this low in the refuge there were many more shorebirds there, perhaps they will still come.

Glenn Kincaid
Santa Barbara

On Aug 3, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Conor Scotland <scotland.conor...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...> wrote:

> About 30 minutes ago there was a Semipalmated Sandpiper with 4 Western Sandpipers just off the third viewing deck on the path at Andree Clark (near the end of the path). The water has receded from this area leaving a good amount of exposed mudflat. The birds were behaving nicely no more than 20-25 feet away, affording excellent views of the Semipalmated right alongside the Westerns for comparison.
>
> An Ash-throated Flycatcher was also present, flying back and forth along the path. This seemed unusual for the location.
>
> Conor Scotland
> Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!