Date: 8/3/17 2:28 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery song
Hi Skip,

I don't know what this is off the top of my head. However, I would quibble
with your description of a 4 quick & 2 slow cadence. Listening to it and
looking at the sonogram, I hear/see a 3 quick & 3 slow cadence. I don't
know if that helps.

My first thought was MacGillivray's Warbler because they do a 3 high & 2 low
song, which can vary. I once chased a mystery singer at Ladd Marsh by
LaGrande. It was doing a weird song over and over. When I finally saw it,
it was a MacGillivray's.

Another thought: Hermit Warblers songs can end on a down-slurred "SEE-unk,
SEE-unk." The ending of your mystery song sounds like that to me.

Paul Sullivan

(101 in McMinnville, with 2.5 hrs to go on the afternoon. Yesterday my
porch hit 111 degrees)

-----------------

Subject: Mystery song
Date: Thu Aug 3 2017 14:43 pm
From: skipr AT teleport.com

While birding at Ridgefield NWR, I heard a song I couldn't place. I

posted it as a mystery on xeno-canto, but so far no takers.

You can hear it here:

<http://www.xeno-canto.org/381431> http://www.xeno-canto.org/3814...

That's "www.xeno-canto.org/381431" in case the link gets garbled in

translation. Weird song of an expected local or something lost? The

only birds I can think of are tropical and not really candidates.

I'm wondering if this rings a bell with anyone out there in obol-land?

Happy birding,

Skip

--

Skip Russell