Date: 8/3/17 12:55 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach & Techny Basin Thursday 8-3-17
Hello Bird People,

Wish I'd been at Waukegan today instead of yesterday as I'd have still
seen the 2 Piping Plovers plus Adam's Western Sandpiper. But you get
what you get & you can't be everywhere at once.

Montrose Beach (6:15-about 9 a.m.)

Checked the Protected Beach 1st but the only shorebirds were 1 young
Spotted Sandpiper & 2 Killdeer by the beach fence. The flooded beach
area toward the Dog Beach remains large & there I saw 1 more Killdeer,
the continuing Lesser Yellowlegs & 3 each Least & Semipalmated
Sandpipers.
Also 1 Semipalmated Plover was there the whole time & a 2nd one flew
in but only stayed a few minutes before leaving with one of the
"peeps". Did a flooded beach watch with Matthew C & Luis M but no
other shorebirds arrived by 8:45 a.m when I left the beach. In with
all the Ring Billed Gulls on the beach were 4 big Herring Gulls & 3
Caspian Terns including 1 young one getting "on the job training". I
did not check the Hedge Area carefully but just walked through it on
the way out.

Techny Basin (the main part) is just beginning to have mud flats in
the pond area & along the stream just in time for the rains today to
(probably) flood the place once again. Almost made it to pull in some
shorebirds but not quite.

Techny Basin North continues to have shorebirds but again only the
most common species. Yesterday's Greater Yellowlegs was gone today &
the 6 Lesser Yellowlegs left as the storms were arriving. And again
half of the shorebirds here are Killdeer. There were about 15
Pectorals though.
If we get enough rain today this place will flood again too,

Bird-Of-The-Day to the adult Black Crowned Night Heron that flew in as
I was leaving Techny North.
Runner-Up to the Montrose Lesser Yellowlegs as that species may be
common inland it is NOT common on Lake Michigan beaches in either Cook
or Lake Co's.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Quebec parked at Montrose &
another good one was from
West Virginia seen on Willow Road. I see a Quebec plate about as
infrequently as a Hawaii plate.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today not seeing many birds but dreaming of future
Western Sandpipers (maybe?)

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional