Date: 8/3/17 8:39 am
From: Ann Truesdale (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...>
Subject: Re: Pennies
A quick Internet search reveals: "Newer pennies are made mostly of
zinc." Easy to find information on both copper and zinc toxicity, too.
I'd guess if either of those heavy metals dissolve in sugar water
sufficiently to inhibit mold or mildew, it could be a problem for the
hummingbirds.

Incidentally, a problem occasionally encountered by veterinarians is
heavy metal poisoning in dogs that have swallowed coins. Of course, the
stomach contents are acidic, and sugar water is not.


Ann Truesdale (retired veterinarian)
<anntrue...>
Meggett, SC

On 8/3/2017 6:31 AM, Stu Gibeau wrote:
> A friend told me he was putting a penny in his hummingbird feeders to keep the mildew down. Is this bad for the birds? I would think it's not good for them. Although there's not much copper in pennies anymore
>
> Stu Gibeau
> Black Mountain, NC
>
>
>
 
Join us on Facebook!