Date: 8/3/17 8:12 am
Subject: Re: Pennies
Copper is a well known ingredient in algaecides but I do not know whether it is effective with mold or mildew.

Regardless, it would need to be in a form that is water soluble - which a penny is not.

For this same reason, I doubt it would have any ill effect on a bird's health.

Perhaps a chemist can weigh in on this.

In any event, you are most likely already replacing your hummer food often for other reasons - at least often enough to avoid algae.

So I see neither a benefit nor a danger of using a penny.

Len Kopka
Simpsonville, SC

On Aug 3, 2017, at 6:31 AM, Stu Gibeau <sgibeau...> wrote:

A friend told me he was putting a penny in his hummingbird feeders to keep the mildew down. Is this bad for the birds? I would think it's not good for them. Although there's not much copper in pennies anymore

Stu Gibeau
Black Mountain, NC

Join us on Facebook!