Date: 8/3/17 7:39 am
From: Steven W. Cardiff <scardif...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] catbird fledgling
Paul/LABIRD-
RE Gray Catbird fall migrants, I wouldn't expect true migrants to
start appearing for another month or so. There are a couple of late August
records from the coast, but there's just a handful of total records from
the coast before the second week of September. There are other scattered
summer records from non-breeding areas and there may be limited local
post-breeding dispersal. Anyway, the vast majority of Gray Catbirds being
reported through August will be local breeders.

Steve Cardiff

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Paul Dickson <Paul...> wrote:

> LABIRD: Not all catbirds are migrants yet. I found myself being mobbed
> last evening by a pair that has spent the summer in my yard. I haven't
> found a nest but have seen signs that they were breeding somewhere in the
> thicker hedges. I let the mobbing parents play hot and cold with me until I
> found a fledgling clinging stock still to a thin side limb to a bamboo
> stalk. There seemed to another mobbing spot nearby so I suspect that there
> were at least two young. Earlier in the afternoon I sat by a marsh pond and
> watched Black Terns dip and dive over the surface. Both sooty black things
> and a nice juxtaposition in the first days of August.
> Paul Dickson
> south Caddo Parish
>
> Disclaimer

> authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby
> be unlawful.
>
> This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been
> automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a
> Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for
> your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and
> compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.

Join us on Facebook!