Date: 8/3/17 6:00 am
From: Paul Dickson <Paul...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] catbird fledgling
LABIRD: Not all catbirds are migrants yet. I found myself being mobbed last evening by a pair that has spent the summer in my yard. I haven't found a nest but have seen signs that they were breeding somewhere in the thicker hedges. I let the mobbing parents play hot and cold with me until I found a fledgling clinging stock still to a thin side limb to a bamboo stalk. There seemed to another mobbing spot nearby so I suspect that there were at least two young. Earlier in the afternoon I sat by a marsh pond and watched Black Terns dip and dive over the surface. Both sooty black things and a nice juxtaposition in the first days of August.
Paul Dickson
south Caddo Parish

Disclaimer