Date: 8/2/17 9:39 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford 8-2-17: Always a good day in the Forest
Highlights today were definitely a fledgling Barred Owl who looked too
young to be out of the nest and a juvenile Coopers Hawk, calling incessantly
to be fed. The owl still had downy feathers on the head, and overall,
incomplete plumage compared to an adult. Also, the bird looked much smaller to me
than an adult. It was only 20 feet from me when I first saw it, so I had a
pretty good look. Found in 1 of the same areas I've been seeing and hearing
Barred Owls all season long.
Pics of Barred owl here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oe6dlj90m6usxik/AABikognJC_WOE_5u1h2Agsma?dl=0

I'm sure the Coopers Hawk was either the same one I saw on 7/28 or
possibly a nest mate, since it was in the same area, being mobbed by angry
Chickadees. I chased him around for about half a mile in the forest today I think,
trying to get a good look and to record his calling. And then ended up
back on the road with the bird calling from a branch right over my head.
Pics of Coopers Hawk here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5oc90su92k7u7lc/AAAGhMdKVYeN9N90x6vXD6iNa?dl=0

MP3 of Coopers Hawk calling here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oueobhrscaxnw0e/AADgHT2pWzFJ-n-p39VsLoqOa?dl=0

Aug 2, 2017 7:45 AM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
33 species

Turkey Vulture 3
Cooper's Hawk 1 Juvie screaming for mama, to be fed. Probably same
bird or nest mate I saw ion 8/28 in same location
Broad-winged Hawk 2 A fly-by and the juvie from the BH Rd nest
screaming in forest.
Mourning Dove 7
Barred Owl 1 Fledgling. Appeared to be right out of the nest. Head
downy, tail small and overall the bird looked smaller than an adult.
Downy Woodpecker 4
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 4
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Blue-headed Vireo 9
Red-eyed Vireo 14
Blue Jay 12
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 25
Tufted Titmouse 9
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Wren 1
Hermit Thrush 4 3 singing, 1 foraging in road
American Robin 6
Gray Catbird 12
Cedar Waxwing 2
Northern Waterthrush 1
Black-and-white Warbler 7
Common Yellowthroat 2
Pine Warbler 2
Black-throated Green Warbler 8
Canada Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Scarlet Tanager 2 I M seen, one singing tic bur call
Northern Cardinal 4
American Goldfinch 20 1 sitting on nest recently vacated by Am.
Redstarts

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct