Date: 8/2/17 2:34 pm
From: Kit Larsen <kit...>
Subject: [obol] Eugene Wednesday morning

Dennis Arendt reports:
The Eugene Wednesday birders arrived early at the end of Royal Avenue at
Fern Ridge Reservoir. We met David Stepel, the refuge manager, who told
us about the plans for water distribution among the several ponds.
David numbers the six ponds (officially called “cells”) under his
control. Pond one being nearest to west 11th Avenue. The “platform”
pond is pond 6. The “barn” pond is number 3. He is trying to bring
water into ponds to produce a variety of vegetation, but he is limited
in how much water is available. Pond 5 is drying up and will remain
dry, so work can be done on the south end. We walked onto the dried mud
on pond 5 where we found, in the small patch of remaining water, a nice
flock of shorebirds, including one Baird’s Sandpiper. Pond 3 had more
water than 5 and good mud areas in which were many more shorebirds,
including Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers, but the morning light
is not as good there. In pond 4 (“redhead”) were hundreds of mallards,
both teal, White-fronted with Canada Geese, both Yellowlegs, but very
few peeps. We all left at 10:00 with the temperature at 82. A nice
breeze kept us somewhat cool. Our entire list follows.

Greater White-fronted Goose - four
Canada Goose
Mallard – 300-400
Cinnamon Teal - several
Green-winged Teal - several
American Bittern - three
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret - three
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Virginia Rail – one heard
Black-bellied Plover - two
Semipalmated Plover - six
Killdeer – lots in pond 3
Baird's Sandpiper – one, maybe two
Least Sandpiper - many
Western Sandpiper – many more than Leasts
Short-billed Dowitcher – one probable
Long-billed Dowitcher - hundred
Wilson's Phalarope - one
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs – five or six
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull – a few
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird - one
Belted Kingfisher
Peregrine Falcon – one perched in the distance
Willow Flycatcher – at its usual spot west and south of the gate
Purple Martin – flying overhead, more heard than seen
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Common Yellowthroat
Savannah Sparrow - many
Song Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
Black-headed Grosbeak - one
Lazuli Bunting – one female/immature
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird – a dozen with the redwings
Brown-headed Cowbird – one with the redwings
Purple Finch – drab plumaged birds
American Goldfinch – a few

Sylvia Maulding, Cindy Armstrong, Marie Royer, Ellen Cantor, Kit Larsen,
Vickie Buck and Dennis Arendt
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!