Date: 8/2/17 2:18 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Buffy Whimbrel or BT Curlew? Nehalem Bay SP - Tillamook
Hi -

I agree that it is a Long-billed juvenile, but wanted to add that juv. Long-bills take several months to fully grow out their bills, so by winter this bird-s bill may be an inch or more longer.

i recently photographed a similar (but longer-billed) one that Chuck Philo found at South Beach
State Park.  According to Dennis Paulson's shorebird guide, juveniles can be recognized by the pattern of the wing coverts.  These have a dark streak tapering to a point (or narrow triangle) with no crossbarring.   Subsequent plumages have cross-bars as well as the horizontal central streak on these feathers.

Wayne
On 8/2/2017 1:20:25 PM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...> wrote:
Thanks everyone!  I noted the lack of facial eye-stripe but couldn't wrap my head around this being a Long-billed Curlew.  And the call note matches the long-billed curlew too!  Yay!  Another juvenile under my belt.

Best, Beverly

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Steve Jaggers <sjjag...> [mailto:<sjjag...>]> wrote:

Looks more like Long-Billed Curlew to me. Wonderful photo series!

Steve Jaggers

On August 2, 2017 at 12:21 PM Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...> [mailto:<mapsout...>]> wrote:

Hi all,

This morning I saw this beautiful shorebird that looked too warm-toned for a Whimbrel.  On the flight pics, the tail appears to have some black with a white subterminal band.  When the bird was flushed by a jogger, it gave a call that wasn't a typical Whimbrel call but instead was just one long, loud, clear sounding note - no trilling.  Is this a Bristle-thighed Curlew or something else?  Or just a warm Whimbrel with a new call note that I haven't heard before?  Pics in the flickr album link.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5BUGdW [https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5BUGdW]

Also, here are some pics of a Pacific Loon with a nearly all-white head.  Not a leucistic bird because the back is not white but pretty odd looking to me.  Maybe this is normal?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5BVd73 [https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5BVd73]

In other Manzanita/Nehalem news, I saw my first Baird's Sandpiper today on the beach and  5 (!) Wandering Tattlers on the Nehalem River jetty two days ago.  And my backyard has become overrun with Pine Siskins - this morning I was up to a count of 27 minimum!!! And the Great Horned Owls that breed in the park forest behind my house, brought out there owlet last night for the first time to the dunes behind my house.

Trying to stay cool with the temperature at 87 degrees on this part of the coast today and heading to 90.

Best, Beverly Hallberg

Join us on Facebook!