Date: 8/2/17 1:22 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach-Land Of Piping Plovers (2) Wed 8-2-17
Hello Bird People,

Today there were 2 young PIPING PLOVERS at Waukegan. One was a new
arrival yesterday & never left the fisherman's pier the whole time I
was there. The other is the one 1st seen by Beau S & myself last Wed
7-26 so it has now been present for a full week. This one originally
liked to be on the main swimming beach but today was was near the
standing water in the large lot just west of the non resident parking
area & the swimming beach. As far as I know the 2 Plovers don't hang
out together but maybe they just haven't been properly introduced yet?
I'll review all the leg band info at the end for those few folks who
care about stuff like that.

Waukegan Beach (6:35-8:05 a.m.)

Other shorebirds were Killdeer (2 on the swimming beach), Spotted
Sandpiper (3 on the pier),
Sanderling (1 on the pier) & Least Sandpiper (1 with the continuing
Plover by the large lot puddle).
No sign of the Baird's that was here previously. Swallows included
Rough Winged, Bank, Cliff & Barn (90% of all Swallows). Two Marsh
Wrens are still singing in the cattails.

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:35-10:15 a.m.)

Seen from the beach were D.C.Cormorant (2 fly-bys), Canada Geese (9),
NORTHERN HARRIER
(1-IM hunting over the dunes), Kestrel (1-M in the "Falcon Tree),
Killdeer (2, no other shorebirds),
Ring Billed (groups of 52 & 90) & Herring (11) Gulls, Caspian Terns
(7-AD & 2-young) & Barn Swallows.

State Line Beach (10:40-10:55 a.m.)

Very few birds here & I was barely saved from a "shorebird shutout" by
2 Sanderlings who landed for about 90 seconds & then left. That was a
close one! Only other birds on the beach were Herring (17) & Ring
Billed (59) Gulls & Caspian Terns (3).

On the way home I made another stop at Techny North where the mud
flats are very good now that the water has dropped. Most of the
shorebirds were Killdeer (41) but mixed in with 8 Lesser Yellowlegs
was 1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, my 1st of the Summer/Fall. Also present were
Solitary (4), Spotted (5), Least (15) & Pectoral (11) Sandpipers. Good
numbers for this place but no special birds so far. Five Great Blues &
1 Great Egret were there along with 7 Caspian Terns.

Piping Plover Leg Band Info

The 1 that has been at Waukegan a week has the following bands:

Right Leg has the silver F&W band at the top & a green band at the bottom
Left Leg has no band at the top & an orange band with a red dot at the bottom.
(The orange band tells you the Plover is from the Great Lakes
population & the red dot helps with the location it hatched which was,
in this case, Silver Lake State Park in Michigan according to the
Piping Plover watch folks)

The new arrival (yesterday) that hangs out on the pier has the following bands:

Right Leg has the silver F&W band at the top & a blue band with the
#15 on it at the bottom
Left Leg has no band at the top & (like the other Plover) an orange
band with a red dot at the bottom. Both Plovers have a similar band
setup with the only difference being 1 has a green band at the bottom
& the other has a blue band. If I find out where the 2nd Plover
hatched I'll report on that later. If more Piping Plovers show up at
Montrose or points south check the bands to see if they are the
Waukegan birds on the move.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 2 Piping Plovers & Runner-Up to the nicely
colored young N. Harrier.

Al Stokie
Finding a few shorebirds today in Lake & Cook Co's

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: