Date: 8/2/17 12:21 pm
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
Subject: [obol] Buffy Whimbrel or BT Curlew? Nehalem Bay SP - Tillamook
Hi all,

This morning I saw this beautiful shorebird that looked too warm-toned for
a Whimbrel. On the flight pics, the tail appears to have some black with a
white subterminal band. When the bird was flushed by a jogger, it gave a
call that wasn't a typical Whimbrel call but instead was just one long,
loud, clear sounding note - no trilling. Is this a Bristle-thighed Curlew
or something else? Or just a warm Whimbrel with a new call note that I
haven't heard before? Pics in the flickr album link.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5BUGdW

Also, here are some pics of a Pacific Loon with a nearly all-white head.
Not a leucistic bird because the back is not white but pretty odd looking
to me. Maybe this is normal?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5BVd73

In other Manzanita/Nehalem news, I saw my first Baird's Sandpiper today on
the beach and 5 (!) Wandering Tattlers on the Nehalem River jetty two days
ago. And my backyard has become overrun with Pine Siskins - this morning I
was up to a count of 27 minimum!!! And the Great Horned Owls that breed in
the park forest behind my house, brought out there owlet last night for the
first time to the dunes behind my house.

Trying to stay cool with the temperature at 87 degrees on this part of the
coast today and heading to 90.

Best, Beverly Hallberg

Join us on Facebook!