Date: 8/2/17 8:04 am
From: Lucy De Lap <ldelap...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Thousands of robins return to night roost - Sleepy Hollow, Kane County
I had an awesome experience on Saturday evening at a gathering at a friend's home.
The apartment we were visiting is on the south side of a bike path that begins on the west side of Route 31 across from the Dundee post office and leads into the village of Sleepy Hollow. We arrived at about 7 pm and remained on the patio facing the path into the night.

During the period from 7 until 8:15 or so, the sky was absolutely filled with robins flying in from all directions heading toward a grove of trees to the north of the bike path. Flocks of 10, 20, 30 and larger continually arrived during that time period. I did not realize what was going on for a bit then starting trying to estimate the number of birds we had seen. With hundred of robins arriving over the course of every few minutes, the totals had to be in the thousands. I really have no idea how many flew over. I did get a sense of what it must have been like when our country was wild and observers reported the sky turning black with birds.
The resident of the apartment said that he has previously observed large numbers of birds coming over and heading into the grove in the early evening but he had not noted that they were all robins nor paid attention to the sheer numbers before seeing me staring at the sky for hours in amazement watching this phenomena transpire before my eyes.
This observation was also very educational for me as I did not know that robins form large roost colonies where they gather at night except for those sitting on nests during breeding.

I encourage anyone in the area near sundown to spend some time on that bike path and observe this spectacle of nature.
Lucy DeLapEast DundeeKane County

Join us on Facebook!