Date: 8/2/17 6:49 am
From: <mresch8702...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Red Crossbill, Pepperell, 8/1

On 8/1 I had a single Red Crossbill fly almost directly overhead while I was in my Pepperell backyard. I heard it call 6 or 7 times giving a sharp "tik" call that I'm used to hearing as what may be a typical call from birds in the northeast, albeit in the winter instead of mid-summer. I would think it was a Type 3 bird, but the calls are so similar that I can't be 100% sure. This is likely part of the local invasion this summer, and the 2nd one I've heard in my neighborhood in the last couple weeks. Though the first bird had a different call which I couldn't assign to "type", but wasn't Type 3.

I know you can record their calls and submit the recordings to experts who can make the ID. But, most of my Red Crossbill sightings are of flyover birds and I doubt I could ever have enough time to wake up my iPhone and start a video recording in time, even for yesterday's bird that was audible for a "long" time - 5 or 6 seconds.

(What will we do if Red Crossbill is split into 10 species?)

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell. MA

Join us on Facebook!