Date: 8/2/17 6:40 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sutton/Baker Beach
Ha, your kids are right! It is a bit of a death march, especially if
you have to walk the entire length to do a survey and then head back in
a stiff north wind.

Got to be one of the windiest places. The air comes around Heceta Head
and smacks that beach hard.

It does tend to be a quiet place and good place for lots of
Sanderlings. While Snowies do occupy it, it is a tough place for them
due to the winds and the ravens which are rather common on this
beach. When it comes to Snowy Plover nesting areas, there are sources
and there are sinks, and Sutton Beach tends to be a sink (ie., a place
that rarely produces many chicks/fledglings for the effort).

cheers
Dave Lauten

On 8/2/2017 4:07 AM, Joel Geier wrote:
> Hi Dave, Alan and all,
>
> Thanks for these clarifications. By coincidence this place just came up
> a few days ago in family discussions, and it turns out our kids have
> their own name for it: the Death March beach.
>
> It's definitely a long haul through and over dunes via the Sutton Creek
> access, plus a creek crossing along the way. But once you get there it's
> a great beach for birding -- a regular sandpiper Serengeti at times.
>
> And usually there aren't many other beach-goers to contend with. Which,
> I suppose, is why Snowy Plovers like it too.
>
> Happy birding,
> Joel
>
>> Subject: [obol] Re: fire on coast
>> Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 14:29:26 -0700
>>
>> Both of you are correct. The road is called Baker Beach. And
>> there is a Sutton Beach access too. But it's the same beach. The
>> south end is Sutton Creek just north of Driftwood motel, and the
>> northern end ends at Heceta Head. The Baker Beach portion is the
>> north end, but there is no official beginning and end to either beach.
>> We call it Sutton Beach for the plover project, but our team will use
>> the term Baker Beach too, especially if we are talking about the north
>> access.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dave
>>

>> On 8/1/2017 10:52 AM, Alan Contreras wrote:
>>> The road is called Baker Beach Rd. so that's the name lots of people
>> use. There is a separate access a couple of miles south that goes to
>> the mouth of Sutton Creek.
>>> Alan Contreras
>>> Eugene, Oregon

POST: Send your post to <obol...>