Date: 8/1/17 8:22 pm
From: GRIGGS, JERRY <griggs...>
Subject: Yard Activity, Columbia, SC
I have never seen as much hummingbird activity at our feeder. There were as many as three female or immature Ruby-throateds at once, as well as an adult male. More birds are in the flower beds. We saw a hummer (male?) doing a shuttle display right over a second bird (female?) that was feeding at a wax mallow.

The dry weather threatens many of our plants, but it brings activity to the bird baths! Interesting bathers included a N. Parula and a Summer Tanager (female). A Pileated Woodpecker (male) perched for a drink, a first for us.

Looking up, we aren't seeing the usual Chimney Swifts, but several Mississippi Kites thrilled us with their aerobatic flights, sometimes as low as treetop height.
Jerry Griggs
Columbia, SC

Join us on Facebook!