Date: 8/1/17 8:21 pm
From: Arlene Ripley <arleneripley...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Lake Cochise, some water
Yesterday I made a quick trip to Lake Cochise and was surprised to find
water present in the lake. It was mainly in the east end of the lake and
I suspect it is the result of monsoon rains and not from any pumping.
I'd say it was about 1/4 full but even this little amount of water has
already attracted some shorebirds and waders. Seen were Killdeer,
Black-necked Stilts, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Long-billed
Dowitcher, and Least Sandpipers. A scope is mandatory at this time as
the birds and the water are far from the road. There was a lot of water
in the surrounding temporal ponds which held a few Mallards and a small
flock of Cinnamon Teal but these ponds are distant and not very
conducive to shorebirding as the water goes right up to the surrounding
grassland.

Arlene Ripley

--
Dragoon Mountains foothills, west