Date: 8/1/17 7:30 pm
Subject: 2 Roseate Spoonbills in Sunset Beach
This afternoon around 4:30 I found 2 Roseate Spoonbills roosting among several dozen Snowy and Great Egrets, and White Ibis in Sunset Beach. They were visible from Shoreline Drive W a few hundred meters west of Blane Court. The birds were roosting on the eastern edge of a pond about 100-150 meters from the road in a live oak near a dock. They were largely concealed by the foliage of the tree, but could easily be discerned with a scope once I located them.

The tide was just beginning to recede and some of the egrets were beginning to leave the roost while I watched. Given the vast areas these birds might forage in when the tide is at lower levels, and the large tracts of private property in the vicinity, I would suggest that anyone looking for these birds would have the best chance of finding them on a rising tide when they are roosting or flying to roost.

There have been good numbers of spoonbills at Huntington Beach SP in SC in recent weeks. HBSP is only about 35 miles (as the crow, or spoonbill flies) from Sunset Beach, so it is quite possible that the numbers of spoonbills in Brunswick County will increase as the summer post-breeding dispersal continues.

Jan Hansen
919-259-9423
Www.otusasiotours.com

Join us on Facebook!