Date: 8/1/17 2:27 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Running Out Of Good Luck In DuPage County Tuesday 8-1-17
Hello Bird People,

I have been doing well the last few days getting to see Piping Plover,
Whip-Poor-Will, Common Gallinule & Buff Breasted Sandpiper so I hoped
my good luck would continue today when I went to look for a Stilt
Sandpiper at the 83rd Street Fluddle after hearing about it from Mike
Madsen who said Vicky S also had seen it yesterday. But I seem to have
used up my target seeking good luck at least for now as in spite of
looking for almost 1 full hour I found no Stilt Sandpiper during my
visit.
I know there will be more but the early adults in breeding plumage
look the best & that's why I hoped to see this one.

83rd Street Fluddle (7-7:50 a.m.)

Lots of shorebirds but almost all of them were Killdeer with the max
count being 94. In much smaller numbers were Lesser Yellowlegs (1),
Solitary (1 or 2) & Spotted (3) Sandpipers. Not much variety.
Also here were Great Blue Heron (1), Great Egret (1), Mallard (2),
Ring Billed Gull (1) & Caspian Tern (3). Also on the mud were Mourning
Dove (2) & Goldfinch (2) & Barn Swallows were hunting over the water.
So were mosquito's-bring bug spray! Highlight was one OSPREY which I
had seen on the walk in at the top of a tall tree. Later it flew in &
sat on the big dead tree by the Fluddle where Herons, Egrets &
Cormorants like to sit.

Whalon Lake

Water even higher than last time & the mud edges I saw last time were
under water this time so no shorebirds today. Did see a few Great
Blues & Great Egrets & that's all.

Techny North (after lunch)(noon time)

Only the same common shorebirds that have been here recently such as
Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Spotted, Least, Semiplamated &
Pectoral Sandpipers in small numbers. Quite a few Mallards & Wood
Ducks plus Great Blues, Egrets & one Cormorant.

We need to keep checking our local shorebird locations as it is now
August & the best is about to arrive or at least I hope so. Generally
the last 2 weeks of August is prime time for shorebirds but something
special can arrive at any time.

Bird-Of-The-Day will have to go to the Greene Valley Osprey &
Runner-Up to the diving Caspian Terns. I hope to do better tomorrow
but I always hope to do better tomorrow!

License Plate Of The Day to one from New Hampshire on Lemont Rd.

But the best sighting of the day goes to a RED FOX that ran across
Oakton Street in Park Ridge at 6 a.m. It's been several years since
I've seen one as they are in short supply now as the Coyotes have
mostly chased them out of most place although they survive now in
residential areas which is where this one was. Made my day!

Al Stokie
Not seeing many birds in DuPage, Will & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: