Date: 8/1/17 11:34 am
From: Kearns, Amy <AKearns...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Goose Pond FWA shorebirds and least tern 31 July 2017
Landon Neuman and I searched for least terns and shorebirds at Goose Pond FWA yesterday, 31 July. We found one continuing juvenile least tern foraging for itself in MPW4. We recorded 11 shorebird species and 423 individual shorebirds, with killdeer (225), pectoral sandpiper (91), and lesser yellowlegs (52) the most numerous. Non-shorebird highlights were a flyover adult Mississippi kite in GP11S, and decent wader numbers and diversity (5 species including little blue heron and black-crowned night-heron).

Goose Pond FWA--Main Pool West, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 8:11 AM - 9:03 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: Water n disturbance a. Looking from east levee only (heavy veg in western part of unit)
39 species

Canada Goose 12
Wood Duck 25
Mallard 8
Ring-necked Duck 2 Drake and 1st summer male hanging out together
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 17
Great Egret 21
Little Blue Heron 2 Juveniles perched in snag together east of tern island
Green Heron 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 5 2 Adults and 3 imms, the adults were perched on snags near the east end of the double ditches, imms were seen in flight in this area
Bald Eagle 2 Adults
Black-necked Stilt 8
Killdeer 50 Estimated
Least Sandpiper 1
Pectoral Sandpiper 15 Estimated
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Least Tern 1 Juvenile
Willow Flycatcher 4
Eastern Kingbird 3
Bell's Vireo 4
American Crow 1
Tree Swallow 50
Bank Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 2
House Wren 2
Sedge Wren 1
Carolina Wren 2
American Robin 1
Gray Catbird 2
Yellow Warbler 2
Field Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 7
Indigo Bunting 10
Dickcissel 1
Red-winged Blackbird 100
Brown-headed Cowbird 15
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38407678

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--Main Pool East, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 9:03 AM - 10:03 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.7 mile(s)
Comments: Water h disturbance a. All shorebirds in MPE4
31 species

Wood Duck 5
Mallard 5
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 15
Great Egret 15
Little Blue Heron 1 Juv, perched in snag in MPE4
Black-crowned Night-Heron 2 Adults in flight
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Common Gallinule 14 Adults and juvs, some downy young. One adult still sitting on nest
American Coot 2 Adults
Black-necked Stilt (Black-necked) 4
Killdeer 92
Stilt Sandpiper 1 Transitional adult
Least Sandpiper 8
Pectoral Sandpiper 25 At least one was a juv
Semipalmated Sandpiper 4
Short-billed Dowitcher 1 Adult
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 28
Belted Kingfisher 5
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1
Warbling Vireo 2
American Crow 1
Tree Swallow 100
American Robin 2
Gray Catbird 1
Song Sparrow 5
Indigo Bunting 2
Red-winged Blackbird 20
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38408668

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP11S, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 10:32 AM - 11:12 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Water n disturbance a. This unit could be good for shorebirds in the upcoming weeks
21 species

Canada Goose 30
Wood Duck 15
Great Blue Heron 5
Mississippi Kite 1 Adult flying over unit. Once it dove in an impressive stoop, landed briefly in the unit, and flew again (no prey seen)
Red-shouldered Hawk 3
Killdeer 63
Least Sandpiper 6
Pectoral Sandpiper 46
Semipalmated Sandpiper 1
Spotted Sandpiper 4
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 5
Lesser Yellowlegs 21
Bell's Vireo 1
American Crow 5
Tree Swallow 5
House Wren 1
Gray Catbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Indigo Bunting 3
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38409778

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP12, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 11:16 AM
Protocol: Incidental
2 species

Sandhill Crane 2 Pair
Sedge Wren 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38409905

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Goose Pond FWA--GP8, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 11:33 AM - 11:48 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Water h disturbance a
14 species

Canada Goose 5
Mallard 1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 5
Great Egret 10
Green Heron 1
Killdeer 10
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
Sedge Wren 1
Henslow's Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38410493

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP5N, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 12:00 PM - 12:11 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Water n disturbance a
12 species

Wood Duck 61
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 2
Killdeer 3
Lesser Yellowlegs 2
Tree Swallow 10
Bank Swallow 10
Henslow's Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 5
Indigo Bunting 2
Dickcissel 2
Red-winged Blackbird 15

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38410888

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP4, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 12:14 PM - 12:34 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: Water h disturbance a
20 species

Wood Duck 8
Mallard 33
Northern Bobwhite 1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 6
Great Egret 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Common Gallinule 5
Killdeer 7
Pectoral Sandpiper 5
Downy Woodpecker 1
Bell's Vireo 1
Tree Swallow 15
Bank Swallow 100
American Robin 1
Gray Catbird 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Song Sparrow 5
Blue Grosbeak 1
Dickcissel 5
American Goldfinch 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38411331

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

5072 S 1100 W, Lyons US-IN (38.9484,-87.1495), Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 1:30 PM
Protocol: Incidental
3 species

Mississippi Kite 1 Not aged, seen poorly as kestrel dove on it multiple times and forced it to land in a large tree in tree line. Distinctive Mississippi kite silhouette
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Kestrel 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38416264

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Goose Pond FWA (Please consider using a more specific location.), Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 2:06 PM
Protocol: Incidental
1 species

Bald Eagle 2 Interestingly, two juveniles (HY) were seen sitting in a nest and eating something. After eating, they continued to make a begging call while sitting in the nest. We were surprised to see this behavior due to the late date. I drove by a couple hours later and saw no Eagles in or around the nest, so apparently this was just a brief visit from fledglings from a rather late nesting event (late for eagles)

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38416342

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Goose Pond FWA--GP9, Greene, Indiana, US
Jul 31, 2017 2:24 PM - 2:33 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.2 mile(s)
Comments: Water h disturbance a
5 species

Wood Duck 4
Common Yellowthroat 2
Song Sparrow 5
Indigo Bunting 1
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38413510

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Amy Kearns
Assistant Nongame Bird Biologist
Indiana Division of Fish & Wildlife
562 DNR Rd Mitchell IN 47446
<akearns...><http://mc/compose?to=<akearns...>
(812) 849-4586<tel:%28812%29%20849-4586> ext. 223 (office)
(812) 844-3042 (cell)

[nongame promo 2 ed]

Join us on Facebook!