Date: 8/1/17 10:00 am
From: John Dillon <kisforkryptonite...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Cameron/SWLA highlights Sunday-Monday
Gerry Click and I made a run down to SWLA for shorebirds and year birds when the statewide cold front came through. Birded Sunday afternoon through Monday afternoon. Here are the highlights:

Acadia Parish: 2 Whooping Cranes.
Also found a mudflat of about 20 acres with approx 600 Pectoral, 750 Short-billed Dowitcher, 200 Long-billed Dowitcher, 400 Lesser Yellowlegs, and 2 American Avocet among other usuals.

Lacassine Pool highlights 4:05-7:00pm.
Had a mostly ho-hum drive around the loop with the best bird being a flagworthy Gray Catbird singing in a thicket. Then we noticed good sized flocks of ducks flying NE to a presumed roost around 5:30. Ended up with:
176 Fulvous
1200 Wood Duck. Lots of photos. Lots in eclipsed plumage. In groups of 2-100 flying NE for about an hour.
20 Yellow-crowned Night Heron. All juvenile. All flying and calling while the sun was getting lower.
16 Pectorals.
1 migrating Orchard Oriole fem/hy type.

East Jetty Beach Sunday morning highlights:
6 Wilson's Plover
2 Semipalmated Plover
1 Whimbrel
1 Long-billed Curlew
1 Spotted Sandpiper
4 Common Tern (juv)
2 Seaside Sparrow

Breakers west of Holly Beach afternoon highlights:
1 Black-bellied Plover
4 Piping Plover
8 Black Tern
4 Common Tern (1ad, 3juv)

And 3 Yellow Warblers and 3 Orchard Oriole along the south walkway and parking lot at Sabine NWR.

82 species in about 10 hrs of actual birding. And we had to forage at the Cameron Family Dollar for food Sunday night because every other food source was shut down unless you prefer nighthawks or stray cats.

John Dillon
Athens, LA

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!