Date: 8/1/17 8:12 am
From: Corey, Ed <ed.corey...>
Subject: Save the Date! - Carolina Beach State Park Bio-Blitz - September 30th - October 1st
To all,

On Saturday, September 30th, 2017, the NC Division of Parks and Recreation will be hosting its TENTH (!!) Bio-Blitz at Carolina Beach State Park, in New Hanover County. Many of you have likely participated in bio-blitzes before, but for those who haven't, please refer to this website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.laptop.org_go_BioBlitz-5Fguide&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=ZpJi5aQXu_ifSQUaRBzxuNtDeO31ZhSuqq1M3WrlhqY&s=Mp4iTehgFGv9H8HRQ-xyuQ1GQ62HYph-dhJUWiF18NY&e=

Though not our largest park, Carolina Beach State Park boasts a large list of rare and unusual plants and animals. Unique ecosystems such as limesink ponds and coastal variants of longleaf pine forests provide the backdrop for the amazing diversity found here. Add to that its being bounded by the Cape Fear River and Snow's Cut, and the potential for adding species skyrockets!

Our goals for this effort will be: 1) to increase our knowledge and understanding of flora and fauna at the park; 2) to update existing species records, and 3) to continue to refine the model for future bio-blitzes within our division. We are trying to pull experts from many different taxonomic groups, ranging from moths, to mammals, to myxomycota!

To add to the enticement, our division will offer a 24-hour exemption from our usual research requirement (known as a Research Activity Permit). If a researcher participates in the bio-blitz, we will waive the need for a Research Activity Permit, as long as ALL species identified are reported to the park by December 31st; final disposition will be up to the researcher.

At this time, please take a look at your calendars, and let me know if: A) you're interested and available to participate; and B) if you know of someone not currently on our list of experts who should be contacted.

More information will be forthcoming, regarding camping options. If you prefer to use a hotel, there are several options in and around Carolina Beach.

Thanks for your time! Please email me if you have any questions.

Ed

Ed Corey
Inventory Biologist, NC Division of Parks and Recreation
NC Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources
919 841 4037 Office
919 208 7864 Work Cell
<Ed.Corey...>

12700 Bayleaf Church Road | Raleigh, North Carolina 27614

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.