Date: 8/1/17 7:02 am
From: Merle and Anne Archie <ravensreachme...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Whimbrel mystery
For the past 2 years we've reported the Whimbrels that use Flat Bay in
Harrington during south-bound migration in July and August. We've met
several birders who expressed an interest in seeing the 150+ flock of
Whimbrels. We always said just wait for our postings and come on down.
This year, however the Whimbrel are not consistent in their appearances and
the numbers are much reduced. We've been monitoring Flat Bay since mid
-July and the largest flock we've seen is 68 birds. There are days when we
don't see any Whimbrels at all which is really disturbing.

So, for those of you who are mulling over a trip Downeast this isn't the
year for Whimbrel watching. Lindsey Tudor, shorebird biologist with Maine
IFW, is doing aerial surveys for Whimbrels on the barrens north of
Harrington and has seen 100+ Whimbrel on the barrens north of Harrington.
There are probably many moving parts about this year's Whimbrel migration
for her to puzzle over.

On the bright side we daily see 700 - 1400 peeps using Flat Bay mudflats
with Short-billed Dowitchers, Black-bellied Plover and Greater/Lesser
Yellowlegs.

Hopefully there will be some Whimbrel sightings further south as the summer
wanes.

Merle and Anne Archie
Harrington