Date: 7/31/17 8:28 pm
From: <heidtdw...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Seward county common peeps...
Hi all,
1st
Stopped at a big flooded field just East of Tamora WPA --southeast corner of the intersection of 364 Road (paved road connecting Highway 34 & I-80) and Alvo Road (gravel road on the North of the flooded field). Over 400 shorebirds--but could only find the more common peeps. There were 8 ibis (sp) in the far corner--even with a scope it was too far to pick up distinguishing characteristics to determine White-faced or Glossy. Anyway, common peeps:
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper (3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper(2)
Solitary Sandpiper (ironically or fittingly 1)

Did have a few Marsh Wren calling from the edge/ditches of flooded field as well as at Tamora WPA. Also had Swamp Sparrows calling at Tamora WPA.

I can't imagine this field drying out any time soon, so those of you who county list and don't have peeps for Seward, you might want to keep it in mind.

2nd
Swung through North Lake Basin WMA (formerly Utica Marsh?). Water level is very high.

Heard
Sora (at least 3).
Marsh Wren
Swamp Sparrow
Sedge Wren-- WMA's Northern parking area on East side of 462 Road (North of Bluff Road)

Saw
Killdeer
Wilson's Phalarope
Common Yellowthroat
Dickcissel
Red-winged Blackbird
Great Blue Heron
Ibis sp. (again too far away to see fine details).
Cliff Swallow
Purple Martin (think a couple of places East of the WMA have Martin houses).
Baird's Sandpiper (technically outside of WMA--flooded corner of field on Northwest corner of 462 Road & 16 Road).

Dave Heidt
Norfolk

Join us on Facebook!