Date: 7/31/17 11:52 am
From: Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hammonasset Shorebird Pools Issue
We have a "committee" to work with DEEP on solving this issue. They wanted
only two people and we thank all of those who so generously volunteered to
help. We are most fortunate that Chris Elphick, Ph.D. from the Department
of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at UConn has offered to lead our team.
Chris is well known to many of you through his extensive work with
Saltmarsh Sparrows. He has also studied birds in agricultural settings and
waterbirds of conservation interest, all areas which will be relevant to
the project. The other member is Terry Shaw who is on both the COA and the
Menunkatuck Audubon Society Boards of Directors. Menunkatuck has intimate
knowledge of Hammonasset as a result of their long association and many
volunteer projects there. Both have been welcomed by Susan Whalen, Deputy
Commissioner of DEEP and we expect the project to begin soon.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut