Date: 7/31/17 10:35 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Yet another bird puzzle
That backlight is a real killer.

The shape and posture look to me like a nearly-grown Virginia Rail, but I always worry if a photo has no good way to judge size.  My sense is a bigger bird than a Phalarope, but I could easily be wrong.

Wayne
On 7/31/2017 10:08:07 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
When I first saw this bird at Summer Lake yesterday I thought it was an Upland Sandpiper.  The very tiny head and about the right size.  But it has no rear end.  Maybe it lost its tail.  Then I thought it might be some type of rail out on the water, It appeared to walking on the grass rather than wading.  As you can see it was right in the sun, darn hard to see anything.  I would have sworn it had a curved bill but I do not see it in the photos. And it seems to be wading not walking.  Too fat for a Lesser Yellowlegs.  Is this simply missing a tail or am I forgetting someone obvious?  If you can't see these, I will have them in my blog I will publish tonight about the trip.

Join us on Facebook!