Date: 7/30/17 9:55 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] fun with mergansers
Since we are on mergansers, another thing to keep in mind is that in late summer and early fall, there are sometimes large rafts of Common Mergansers in the outer parts of coastal estuaries where we would normally expect Red-breasted. At Florence they occur every year between the Coast Guard station and the crabbing pier, sometimes further toward the jetties. As the fall moves along, these birds seem to move to more usual upriver fresher-water locations.

Many of these are rather scruff imm birds, but they still have the hefty bill and obvious white chin of a Common. The fact that there are fifteen to forty of them packed into a feeding group is your first clue that they are Commons, as Red-breasteds usually don’t do that in Oregon (they do elsewhere). Also, Red-breasted tends to show up in any numbers later in fall.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>

Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jul 30, 2017, at 9:39 PM, David Irons <LLSDIRONS...> wrote:
>
> Greetings All,
>
> Given the considerable merganser confusion at Fernhill Wetlands in early July, I thought I would post a couple of close-up shots of a very similar juvenile Hooded Merganser that Shawneen and I saw at Koll Center Wetlands today. After the apparent "rediscovery" of a Red-breasted Merganser at Fernhill Wetlands on July 4th (Shawneen found a Red-breasted Merganser at this site in mid-May), a number folks who went looking for it and submitted eBird checklists that included sightings of Red-breasted Merganser. Many of those checklists either included photos of bird that looked very much like this one, or written descriptions that better fit a young Hooded Merganser.

Join us on Facebook!